Wednesday 9 October 2013

Breakfalls

Hey everyone!

Hope you enjoyed last weeks episode on hard ground training! I hope no one got hurt trying tricks on concrete last week, I still hope you are all improving!

So many of you may know me personally, and know that I am an aspiring stunt man for film and television. In man journey or quest, I have learnt that it takes more than just doing a couple flips, and a few spin kicks to be stunt man. The most important part about doing stunts, is falling and making it look painful. But before you can make it look like it hurts, you have to make sure you can fall safely.

So in this weeks blog I'm going to show you a video on some basic-advanced breakfalls. Note, that I myself am also working on my breakfalls and I'm still not happy with how they look. But I'm going to give you guys the opportunity to get a head start on them that I wish I had.

Steps to practice breakfalls:

If you have an instructor ask them to help you with them, if not film yourself doing it and be your own critique

Step 1: find a matt, mattress, sand, or any squishy surface that you can land on safely

Step 2: practice some of the basic breakfalls I demonstrate in the video below: front, side and back breakfall

Step 3: practice until you feel yourself land all at once, or in a way that you could land without getting hurt. Landing with your body hitting the ground all at once spreads the force out making it much less painful.

Step 4: try adding a twist or flip to make it more challenging

Step 5: once you can safely fall, try taking away layers of matts until you find yourself doing it onto normal ground.

Here's the video of me practicing some breakfalls at Rampulla's Martial Arts, in Georgetown Ontario.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment